Name:
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, United States

I'm a telecommunications engineer who has recently once again taken a shine to the notion of finding an outlet for his thoughts, and all too frequent encounters with the strange.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Hooo Boy!

Looking over my last post, I began to wonder if it was perhaps it's a little too abysmal. I mean gosh, my life can't be that plain and boring, can it?
It's like since I finally gave up and became an engineer, I started to have a bit of a midlife crisis in reverse.

Not that I was ever all that wild in the first place.

Nope, compared to some of my friends I've always been considered something more akin to
"wild lite" in the past; often the nervous voice of reason in the crowd. Keeping the bills paid, the lights on and not straying further from the path than necessary to keep my interests piqued.

Some would say that I'm due for a midlife crisis, but that would just be stupid. I've seen it done time and time again; a rapid downward spiral of self-destructive behavior with the sole intention of reminding oneself that there was fun to be had.
But therein lies the problem; those things that one can get away with at the tender ages between 15-25 or so aren't so easily looked upon (or for that matter overlooked) in the world of the 30 or 40 somethings. Quitting your job to find yourself, going on drinking binges (or in some cases worse), getting that tattoo you always wanted, or dying your hair green and trying to start a punk-rock band, for that matter, are just stupid ideas.
It's like watching a drunk old man making passes at a good looking waitress in a sports bar, funny at first....... then unpityably tragic after the laughter dies down and the party ends to find him lying alone in a gutter after falling off his rainbow.

Midlife crisis? Nope, I've got a little too much self-respect to do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home