Name:
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, United States

I'm a telecommunications engineer who has recently once again taken a shine to the notion of finding an outlet for his thoughts, and all too frequent encounters with the strange.

Friday, July 28, 2006

The Horrible Missapropriation of Science and Technology

"Oh God, what have we done"
(Nagasaki bomb drop 1945)
As a lifelong lover of science and technology, I have always dreaded the coming of the time that I would be placed in the juxtoposional point between understanding of the universe and "killer of innocents". Yeah , I know that it sounds silly coming from a TV repairman, but science on any level poses a danger to those seeking knowledge, as well as those who their understanding may touch.
My screen name alone is a testiment to such, as it comes from the fact that I was told by a Neuropathologist that my "irregularity of gait" and "supression of reasoning ability" were the direct result of "continued contact and chronic accumulation" of lead; specifically from solder.

This I can accept, as it was a concious choice............not unlike my smoking........there I was and I did it....... damn the torpedos, Marie Curie did the same! ( though in her defense, she didn't know the danger)

But there is a line, as with my latest job offer, that must not be crossed; No matter what you offer me, I don't give a damn if every earthly pleasure will be at my beck and call. I WILL NOT CONTRIBUTE TO THE KILLING OF INNOCENENTS! I don't give a DAMN if you say if it's for "national security" (though I would have killed any of those that participated in the 911 attacks with my bare hands -given the lack of power tools- on the same principal).

I know in my heart that the majority of those in countries seen as "evil" are just as much apposed to the madness of the ruling power as I am to that damn idiot we call a president, despite the fact that we must simply go about our daily lives, keep the bills paid, and hope for better odds the next time we might have a "majority vote" in how we are represented and ruled.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zipdot said...

Sounds like you've been huffing mothballs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5219646.stm

9:35 AM  
Blogger Solderjunkie said...

Sorry 'bout that,I admittedly went a little "off" there. Mostly due to a combination of a bad day, a job offer from a military contractor with a R. Lee Ermy-type representative, a few beers and sleep-deprivation.

I guess I just needed a good rant.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home