Name:
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, United States

I'm a telecommunications engineer who has recently once again taken a shine to the notion of finding an outlet for his thoughts, and all too frequent encounters with the strange.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

And now what?

Ever since I discovered that man cannot live on TV repair alone in this era of disposable electronics and changing video formats, I have been wondering what I should do for a living while remaining self-employed (thus keeping the squeeze off and hopefully avoiding a situation where I jump at the first job offer and spend the rest of my years on this Green Marble in a job that I quickly grow to despise). Yeah, I've gots me some freedom but I still crave the predicable work hours and lack of tax forms that come with a "regular job".

The question that I face right now is, "What should I do?". I've tried a lot of stuff in the past, from plumbing to teaching (though, there's not a big range between those examples in my mind
since both involve putting up with s#!t in one form or another), but have failed to find anything as satisfying and varied as electronic repair, especially when service calls are involved.

So now what? After a long night of consuming coffee and meditating in a trance-like state while listening to Miles Davis and Mozart, I think I've come up with a solution; The 6 sided Die
(not that I actually own one, the cool kids never let me play D&D with them back in the day).

I figure that I'll just list out the top 6 occupations that I find most interesting (from "research scientist" to "live in a cave in Patagonia and herd sheep"), and let the dice do the deciding, or at least the narrowing down, and even if the choice happens to require more educaton or training, I'll just go for it.

................Or perhaps I should drink a little less coffee and just keep trolling Monster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home