Name:
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, United States

I'm a telecommunications engineer who has recently once again taken a shine to the notion of finding an outlet for his thoughts, and all too frequent encounters with the strange.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

What the heck happened to me?

I was just updating my profile...... ugh.
That's when it hit me, like a ton of bricks, no less.
I'm not really a "character" anymore, call it maturity (starting to feel a little sick here) or perhaps a new chapter in life; a lot of things have changed.
My ponytail is gone, I no longer wander about the "colorful" section of town haunting the local live music scene in a fedora and tweed coat spending the money that I make at a job I chose for it's constantly changing nature and oddball situation, and I no longer drive cars for the sake of keeping them alive.
These days I find myself driving a late model Volvo to my second-shift "life in a cubicle" type job that keeps me at home when I get there in the wee hours, usually long after the music has ended. Missing the constant physical activity of my old job -that included lugging TV's up flights of stairs and constantly lifting them to the workbench for repair- has driven me to get a gym membership and I've actually been golfing a time or two. I rarely ever wear a hat on weekdays anymore, and when I do, it's a plain ballcap. And when I do go out it's to the same bar, the one that my friends work at (and not, mind you, "friendly bartender" aquaintances, but the "Hey man, I'm having a cookout, gonna watch the game, going camping" type of friends) , to play video games, discuss politics and music and, in their words, sit and sip my beer "like an old man".
Last week I took my car to a mechanic........ a MECHANIC!
I, the guy who once in his life drove particular cars for the thrill of experiencing the glory of understanding the inner workings of automobiles - even to the point of having rebuilt cars from scratch with my own two hands just for giggles- went to a mechanic!

I guess this is what it feels like to be a grownup.

2 Comments:

Blogger tori said...

oh....my....God...

6:28 AM  
Blogger Solderjunkie said...

I've mutated!

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home