Name:
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, United States

I'm a telecommunications engineer who has recently once again taken a shine to the notion of finding an outlet for his thoughts, and all too frequent encounters with the strange.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

"Um, ok"

Believe it or not that was the response of my employer to my demand for time off. No panic, no demands, just a quick "Why?" that required no more explaination than, "'Cause I want to see my Grandma, alright?". I told him that we needed to make some changes in order to keep me here, and all he said was,"We can talk when I have more time, I'm on a break" and that was the end of the conversation.

Guess I don't have to quit to get the time off after all. Of course there is the question of this place surviving my absence (still don't know how that's gonna happen) But WTF, I have his blessing to go and I guess that means he'll just have to deal.

What's next? I have some other job options, but nothing that really sparks my interest. There's an out-of-town thing that I really don't care for, despite good pay and moving expense coverage. I've been accepted, even pestered to take this one and the work sounds enjoyable enough, but trust me though, the devil is in the details (some might even say the devil himself).


If I wanted to just stay in Indiana, there is that good industial job waiting - just as there always has been for every male family member up there for 3 generations before.
I've given this one a lot of thought, good pay, good benifits, union wages, living in the heartland, being near (even working with) family.....
But it has its downside too:
Both of my Grandfathers were at one point or another involved in an accident. Dad's dad got both his legs crushed while inspecting a machine (he was a plant manager with a chem./process engineering degree). Mom's dad was a metalurgist at a foundry who wound up disabled for nearly 30 years after something went wrong and his lungs were all but destroyed by zinc oxide fumes that escaped.
And my cousin has already had at least one of his fingers re-attached (he's a master machinist).
Yeah, it wouldn't be bottom-rung blue collar, but wearing a white hard-hat doesn't make you invincible either.

And then there's my already existant side business, all this would take would be motivation and a small business loan to make happen. I'm pretty burnt out on the whole fix and repair thing right now, but this might just be my best bet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Solderjunkie said...

Nah, not really.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home