Name:
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, United States

I'm a telecommunications engineer who has recently once again taken a shine to the notion of finding an outlet for his thoughts, and all too frequent encounters with the strange.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Planning the Unplanable and Beef Stew

Here it is, once again.....Monday.
I pretty much had the whole weekend planned out, but as they say, "_____ happens" (and that doesn't necessarily have to be 'S#!t' in that blank either).

I had hoped to make it to the Artwalk, change the oil in Truck, call my sister, revise my resume and sneak into the shop to blog this weekend, but I slept too much. And I mean...TOO much, I usually get a max of about 6-8 hours before regaining conciousness, but strangely my internal alarm must have been broken or something and I didn't rise on Saturday until around 2, and worse yet Sunday.....um...4:30pm. At least I accomplished two goals, I helped Zaron move, and I made a big ol' pot of homemade beef stew:

3 lbs stew meat
2 large potatoes
1/2 onion (diced)
3 carrots (coined)
2 cans green beans
1/2 shotglass Worchestershire Sauce
1 shotglass red wine
Garlic powder (if ya got cloves of garlic, crush in 1-2 instead)
Black pepper (ground) to taste
Lowery's seasoned salt (1 tsp, or to taste)
(if you want to expound, add 1 green bell pepper and celery)


Brown meat in LARGE pot, stir in green beans (with water from can), add taters, onion and carrots along with other ingredients, bring to boil....reduce heat and let boil on low for about 4 hours or until meat is easily shredable with fork..
if too much liquid....drain off into saucepan, add enough water to make 1 cup (dry) rice.

This + Gladware + microwave = eatin' good for a week.
(In smaller batches, it's crockpotable too...8 hours, high heat)

The best thing about this recipe is that even the dullest of chef's can pull it off, and it seems to get better when reheated. Thank God and Grandma! Needless to say it's a change from frozen burritos or 'Der Beanundwienerglop':

2 hot dogs
1 can Showboat pork & beans
Crushed Lay's original potato chips.

Heat beans in pan, coin in wieners, bring to boil, remove heat, stir in chips to gloplike texture.....(better tasting than it sounds), it's quick and pretty much buzzproof.


Oh well, I guess the weekend could have been worse.
G'nite

3 Comments:

Blogger Zipdot said...

Thanks again! You were a Godsend.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Solderjunkie said...

Yer welcome man, it was no problem and kept me from sleeping until Monday.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Solderjunkie said...

I just wish I could have woke up earlier Sat and Sun.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home