Name:
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, United States

I'm a telecommunications engineer who has recently once again taken a shine to the notion of finding an outlet for his thoughts, and all too frequent encounters with the strange.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Nobody's Perfect

One Sunday afternoon, as the minister of the First Baptist Church sat enjoying his lunch, the younger minister of the Second Baptist Church, came in and sat at his booth to ask some friendly advise:

Old Minister: What on earth could be troubling you on this
glorious day my son?

Younger Minister: Well, brother, you see....I believe that someone has stolen my bicycle, and my church cannot afford to replace it, let alone get me a car.

Old Minister: Stolen? Are you certain?

Younger Minister: I'm afraid so, and now I'll have to walk to make my rounds and minister to the sick and elderly.

Old Minister: I'll tell you what you can do-
next Sunday I want you to preach on the 10 Commandments....and when you do so, I want you to bear down with conviction on "Thou Shalt Not Steal" as to put the fear of Hellfire into the hearts of your flock and move the spirit of the lost sheep that has taken your bicycle to repent and return what he has stolen or fear the loss of his immortal soul! I'll do the same at my church, and I am certain that you'll have your bicycle back before nightfall Sunday!

The younger Minister agreed, and the two left the diner, content in the fact that they would indeed save another wandering soul before nightfall the next Sunday.


A week passed,and Sunday afternoon once again found the Older Minister sitting in the usual spot at the diner- A look of elation breaking over his face as the Young minister arrives upon his bicycle and comes in to sit down. Strangely, the Younger Minister, appears somewhat dismayed and sheepish.

Older Minister: Glory be in Heaven my son! Another soul has been saved from the clutchs of the Devil! Why are you not rejoicing in their penance?

Younger Minister - looking down at the table- : It didn't really turn out as I planned..

Older Minister: How so? Did you not preach as I said on The Ten Commandments? Did you not Bear down on The Lord's forbiddance
of Theft and put the fear of Hellfire into the souls of the lost sheep?

Younger Minister: Yes.....I did as you said.....but....

Older Minister: But?

Younger Minister: I only got to "Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultry", before I remembered where I'd left my bicycle.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zipdot said...

Lemme guess... Catholic priest... He must've given it to a little boy he molested. Ooo, going to hell for that one.

Him, not me.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Zipdot said...

oh okay. Me too.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home