Name:
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, United States

I'm a telecommunications engineer who has recently once again taken a shine to the notion of finding an outlet for his thoughts, and all too frequent encounters with the strange.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

A change might do some good

Oh what a day!
Ok, maybe it wasn't that fabulous, but at least it didn't suck the chrome off the trailer-hitch of life, for a change. I actually might have an opportunity or two to get the heck out of the increasingly thankless and stressful world of T.V. repair.

I got a couple of leads today on nice, well ordered jobs in other fields;
1)P. Mims put a good word in for me at a company that does sales of Power distribution equipment, and said the fact that I can deal with humans as well as the strange world of Electrical engineering raised some eyebrows. He said the fact that I have a business and technical background might just make me a shoe in for what could be the first 9-5 job I've ever had in my life! Yippee!

2)I got an inside lead that there is a broadcast engineer position opening up at a local station. Now as interesting as the first job I mentioned would be, I can't help but be excited about this one, even if it is for a Christian station. These positions are mostly long dull periods of preventive maintenance highlighted by brief and rare moments of, 'Fix this thing -now!', so it's hard to believe that it's a full time position with bennies, even if my contact (a current employee) swears it is. But if it is (and the pay is good), I just might get some good reading in....gosh, and I won't have to carry heavy things, or work hour upon hour with lead solder, or stay late into the night, or worry about fixing enough units to pay the rent. Ahhh...
Just the occasional monkeylike foray to the top o' the tower to change the blinky red light...changing the tetrode in the wee small hours of the morning....replacing windscreens on mics....making sure that the Peak Envelope Power and Deviation percentage were within the license specs. Man, as long as I could train myself to stop cussing at things I service, I could have it made.

Of course I would be losing out on the opportunity to get another station wagon....Hmmm.... Screw it! I'm puttin' in an app!

2 Comments:

Blogger Spending said...

Good Luck!I hope you get one of them.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Solderjunkie said...

Actually it's for the shortwave broadcast division of EWTN, their offices and TV division is in Irondale, but their radio stuff is in Vandiver.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home